There have been no reported cases of a TriLyte overdose, so the exact effects if too much is taken are unknown. However, based on what is known about the drug's effects, possible symptoms could include nausea, vomiting, and bloating, among other things. Treatment would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much TriLyte?TriLyte® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution) is a prescription medication used to empty the intestines before a colonoscopy procedure. As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much TriLyte. The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the TriLyte dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of an overdose with TriLyte. Therefore, it is not known exactly what to expect if too much of this medication is taken. Based on the known effects of TriLyte, however, an overdose may be expected to cause the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Watery stool
- Abdominal (stomach) discomfort
- Bloating and feelings of fullness
- Possible dehydration from frequent diarrhea.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a TriLyte overdose may include:
- Fluids, if necessary
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of body electrolytes (such as blood potassium and sodium levels).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.