When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind when taking triamterene-HCTZ include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet or capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take triamterene-HCTZ with or without food.
Triamterene-HCTZ should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels in your blood. However, some people do not need to take it every day, especially those taking it for fluid retention.
- Because this medicine increases urination, it is best to take it the morning to avoid getting up to use the bathroom throughout the night, unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Triamterene-HCTZ will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of triamterene-HCTZ your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to triamterene-HCTZ.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Triamterene-HCTZ Dosing for more information.)