Digestive System Channel
Related Channels

Rectiv Overdose

Vomiting, confusion, and a severe headache are some of the symptoms of an overdose with Rectiv (nitroglycerin anal ointment). Because this type of overdose can result in dangerous -- and potentially life-threatening -- effects, seek immediate medical attention if you think you may have used too much. Treatment will likely involve increasing your blood pressure and relieving any other symptoms that occur.

Can You Use Too Much Rectiv?

Rectiv™ (nitroglycerin anal ointment) is a prescription medication used to treat anal fissures. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Rectiv. In fact, an overdose can be dangerous.

Effects of an Overdose

An entire 30-gram tube of Rectiv contains a total of 120 mg of nitroglycerin. The known lethal oral dose of nitroglycerin in adults is 200 to 1200 mg. Taking an entire tube of Rectiv by mouth is unlikely to kill an adult. However, young children are susceptible to nitroglycerin toxicity.
Known effects of an overdose with any nitroglycerin product, including Rectiv, include:
  • Severe, throbbing headache
  • Confusion
  • Fever
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (signs of very low blood pressure)
  • A spinning sensation (vertigo)
  • Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
  • Vision problems
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Sweating
  • Shortness of breath
  • Slow heart rate
  • Blue skin, a sign of methemoglobinemia (a potentially dangerous blood disorder)
  • Paralysis
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Death.
8 Frequent Pain Syndromes

Rectiv Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.