Ranitidine Side Effects
Common side effects of ranitidine include headache, constipation, diarrhea, and upset stomach. Less common side effects may include dizziness, difficulty sleeping, and blurred vision. While most side effects of this drug do not require medical attention, be sure to notify your healthcare provider immediately if you experience heart problems, such as a fast or slow heart rate.
Ranitidine Side Effects: An Introduction
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with ranitidine hydrochloride (Zantac®). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate ranitidine well. When ranitidine side effects do occur, they are generally minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with ranitidine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of ranitidine side effects with you.)
Side Effects of Ranitidine to Report
There are a number of side effects with ranitidine that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Confusion, agitation, or hallucinations
- Depression (see Zantac and Depression)
- Heart problems, including fast heart rate (tachycardia), slow heart rate (bradycardia), and abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Symptoms of liver problems or hepatitis, including yellowing of the eyes or skin, pain in the upper right side of the abdomen, and dark urine
- Angioedema (life-threatening swelling of the throat and mouth)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unusual rash, hives, itching, wheezing, trouble breathing, and swelling of the mouth or throat.