Digestive System Channel
Related Channels

Prepopik Overdose

When taking Prepopik (sodium picosulfate/magnesium oxide/anhydrous citric acid), only enough of the product is provided to allow for one bowel prep. Therefore, an overdose is unlikely to occur. However, it is still possible to take too much of this medicine. If an overdose with Prepopik occurs, it may cause severe electrolyte problems, severe diarrhea, and dehydration.

Can You Take Too Much Prepopik?

Prepopik® (sodium picosulfate/magnesium oxide/anhydrous citric acid) is a prescription medication licensed to cleanse the intestines before a colonoscopy. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Prepopik.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Prepopik dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.

Effects of an Overdose

An overdose with Prepopik is unlikely, as only enough for one bowel prep is provided at a time. The exact effects of an overdose are unknown. However, based on the actions of this medication, using too much may be expected to cause the following symptoms:
  • Severe electrolyte problems, such as low blood sodium (hyponatremia) or potassium (hypokalemia), which could cause symptoms such as:
    • Muscle weakness
    • Muscle cramps
    • Confusion
    • An irregular heartbeat
    • Headache
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
  • Dehydration, which may cause the following symptoms:
    • Thirst
    • Less frequent urination
    • Fatigue
    • Lightheadedness
    • Dry skin
    • Dark-colored urine.

Prepopik Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.