The specific effects of a NuLYTELY overdose will vary, based on how much of the laxative was taken and whether it was taken with any other substances. Some possible overdose effects may include nausea, vomiting, and dehydration. Treatment options will also vary. Depending on how recent the overdose was, treatment could involve administering certain medications, "pumping the stomach," or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much NuLYTELY?NuLYTELY® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution) is a prescription medication used to empty the intestines before a colonoscopy. Just like any medication, it is probably possible to take too much NuLYTELY.
The specific effects of an overdose with this drug would likely vary depending on a number of factors, including the NuLYTELY dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on NuLYTELY.
Effects of an OverdoseIt is not known exactly what to expect from a NuLYTELY overdose, because there have been no reported cases of an overdose with this medication.
It is likely that a NuLYTELY overdose would cause symptoms similar to NuLYTELY's side effects, although they may feel more severe. These symptoms may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Watery stool
- Abdominal (stomach) discomfort
- Bloating and feelings of fullness
- Possible dehydration due to diarrhea.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for a NuLYTELY overdose will likely vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose of this product may include:
- Fluids, if necessary
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of body electrolytes (such as blood potassium and sodium levels).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.