When using MoviPrep for cleansing the bowels before a colonoscopy, your healthcare provider will recommend one of two dosing regimens. This will include either taking the entire two-liter dosage amount of MoviPrep the night before or split up between the night before and the morning of the procedure. With either regimen, it usually takes about an hour after starting MoviPrep to have your first bowel movement.
An Introduction to Dosing With MoviPrepThere is only one standard dosage of MoviPrep® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution). However, the dosing instructions your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on whether you follow the split-dose regimen or the evening-only, full-dose regimen.
MoviPrep Split-Dose Regimen for Bowel PreparationWith the MoviPrep split-dose regimen, one liter of MoviPrep is consumed the night before your colonoscopy. A second liter is then consumed the morning of the procedure. The recommended MoviPrep dosage for the split-dose regimen is as follows:
- The evening before your colonoscopy:
- Prepare one liter of MoviPrep solution by mixing the contents of one pouch A and one pouch B with one liter of lukewarm water. You may use a suitable glass container or the container provided with your MoviPrep medication.
- Drink eight ounces (240 mL) of the solution over one hour (one eight-ounce portion every 15 minutes).
- After drinking one liter of MoviPrep, drink half a liter (16 ounces) of clear fluids.
- The morning of your colonoscopy repeat the directions above so that you finish drinking the second liter of MoviPrep and an additional half a liter of clear fluids at least one hour before your colonoscopy is scheduled to begin.