Digestive System Channel
Related Channels

MiraLAX Overdose

The effects of an overdose with MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350) will depend on how much of the laxative was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Although there haven't been any reported cases of an overdose, it could be expected to cause dehydration due to diarrhea. Treatment options could involve administering activated charcoal, "pumping the stomach," or providing supportive care.

Can You Take Too Much MiraLAX?

MiraLAX® (polyethylene glycol 3350) is a nonprescription laxative medication used to treat occasional constipation. As with any medicine, it is probably possible to take too much MiraLAX.
The specific effects of a MiraLAX overdose likely will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the MiraLAX dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on MiraLAX.

Effects of a MiraLAX Overdose

There have been no reported cases of a MiraLAX overdose, so it is unknown what to expect if too much is taken. Based on the known effects of MiraLAX, however, an overdose may be expected to cause diarrhea and possibly dehydration due to diarrhea.

Treatment Options

Treatment for an overdose with MiraLAX will likely vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a person who uses too much MiraLAX may include:
  • Fluids, if necessary
  • Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
  • Close monitoring of body salts (electrolytes).

MiraLAX Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.