Digestive System Home > Zegerid OTC Side Effects
Notify your healthcare provider right away if you develop potentially serious problems while using Zegerid OTC, such as difficulty breathing, seizures, or dark urine. In most cases, however, people tolerate the medication quite well, and any problems that occur are typically easy to treat. The most common side effects of Zegerid OTC may include headaches, diarrhea, and dizziness.
An Introduction to Zegerid OTC Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Zegerid OTC™ (omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Zegerid OTCThis information in this section was taken from the prescribing information for the prescription version of Zegerid. Interestingly, the information on potential side effects in the prescribing information for Zegerid comes largely from studies that used plain omeprazole (Prilosec®), rather than omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate. However, the possible side effects are expected to be similar for both medications.
- Headaches -- in up to 6.9 percent of people
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- up to 5.2 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3.7 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 1.9 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 1.5 percent
- General weakness -- up to 1.3 percent
- Constipation -- up to 1.1 percent
- Coughing -- up to 1.1 percent
- Back pain -- up to 1.1 percent.