As with any medicine, MoviPrep®
(polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution
) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with MoviPrep. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of MoviPrep
MoviPrep has been studied in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received MoviPrep, while another group was given a different colon
-cleansing medication. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the other medication.
In these studies, the most common side effects of MoviPrep included:
- Abdominal distention (swelling of the stomach) -- in up to 59.8 percent of people
- Anal irritation -- up to 51.5 percent
- Thirst -- up to 47.3 percent
- Nausea -- up to 47.3 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 39.1 percent
- Sleep problems -- up to 34.9 percent
- Shaking chills (rigors) -- up to 33.7 percent
- Feeling hungry -- up to 30.2 percent
- General feelings of discomfort -- up to 26.6 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 7.8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6.5 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 2.8 percent
- Headaches -- up to 1.8 percent.