Digestive System Home > MiraLAX Overdose
The effects of an overdose with MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol 3350) will depend on how much of the laxative was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Although there haven't been any reported cases of an overdose, it could be expected to cause dehydration due to diarrhea. Treatment options could involve administering activated charcoal, "pumping the stomach," or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much MiraLAX?MiraLAX® (polyethylene glycol 3350) is a nonprescription laxative medication used to treat occasional constipation. As with any medicine, it is probably possible to take too much MiraLAX.
Effects of a MiraLAX OverdoseThere have been no reported cases of a MiraLAX overdose, so it is unknown what to expect if too much is taken. Based on the known effects of MiraLAX, however, an overdose may be expected to cause diarrhea and possibly dehydration due to diarrhea.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for an overdose with MiraLAX will likely vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
- Fluids, if necessary
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of body salts (electrolytes).