Digestive System Home > Bumex Side Effects
The most common Bumex side effects include low chloride levels, low potassium levels, and high levels of urea and other waste products in the blood. In most cases, side effects are minor and easily treated. However, you should notify your healthcare provider immediately if you develop more serious side effects of Bumex, such as fainting spells, yellowing of the skin, or signs of an allergic reaction.
An Overview of Bumex Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Bumex® (bumetanide). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. When side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Bumex. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Bumex side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of BumexBumex has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Bumex include changes in certain chemicals in the body (found by using blood tests). These changes can be very serious and include:
- Low chloride levels in the blood (hypochloremia) -- in up to 14.9 percent of people
- Low potassium levels in the blood (hypokalemia) -- up to 14.7 percent
- High levels of urea and other waste products in the blood -- up to 10.6 percent
- Low sodium levels in the blood (hyponatremia) -- up to 9.2 percent
- Increased serum creatinine (which indicates problems with kidney function) -- up to 7.4 percent
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) -- up to 6.6 percent.
Changes in phosphorus, carbon dioxide, bicarbonate, and calcium levels were also common. Other relatively common Bumex side effects include:
- Muscle cramps -- in up to 1.1 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 1.1 percent
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) -- up to 0.8 percent
- Headaches -- up to 0.6 percent
- Nausea -- up to 0.6 percent.