The dose of Bumex®
) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking
- How you respond to Bumex.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Bumex Dosage for Water Retention
The recommended dose of Bumex for fluid retention (also known as edema) ranges from Bumex 0.5 mg to 2 mg once daily. Often, the drug is used in people who are allergic to Lasix®
), a similar diuretic. To convert a Lasix dosage
to a Bumex dosage, divide the Lasix dose by 40 (because Bumex is 40 times more potent than Lasix).
General Bumex Dosage Information
Considerations for people taking Bumex include the following:
- Bumex comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You take the medication with or without food.
- Bumex should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood. However, some people do not need to take it every day, especially those taking it for fluid retention.
- Because the drug increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid getting up to use the bathroom throughout the night), unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For Bumex to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Bumex or your Bumex dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.