HalfLytely and Bisacodyl
Clinical Effects of HalfLytely and Bisacodyl
In a clinical study, HalfLytely and Bisacodyl was shown to effectively cleanse the bowel before a colonoscopy. In this study, people were given one of two HalfLytely and bisacodyl regimens before a colonoscopy -- either HalfLytely with 5 mg of bisacodyl or HalfLytely with 10 mg of bisacodyl.
On average, 78 percent of people given HalfLytely and 5 mg of bisacodyl were considered to have a successful colon cleansing. A similar number (80 percent) of those given HalfLytely with 10 mg bisacodyl had a successful colon cleansing.
Some general considerations for using HalfLytely and Bisacodyl include the following:
- This medication comes with one bisacodyl tablet and a jug of HalfLytely powder (to be dissolved in water before use). Normally, the bisacodyl tablet is taken first, and the HalfLytely solution is started after the first bowel movement, or six hours later (whichever comes first).
- This product is usually taken the day before a colonoscopy.
- You will need to avoid solid foods and milk the day you use this medication, until after your colonoscopy. Drink clear liquids only. Ask your healthcare provider if you have questions about the types of liquids you can consume the day before your procedure.
- If you develop stomach discomfort or bloating, wait longer between doses, or temporarily stop drinking the medication until the symptoms lessen. If you are unable to finish this medication, tell your healthcare provider. Your procedure may need to be rescheduled.
- Do not add any additional ingredients, including other flavorings or liquids, to the HalfLytely solution. You may use one of the flavor packs provided with the medication.
- Do not crush, cut, or chew the bisacodyl tablet. Swallow it whole with water.
- Do not take antacids within one hour of taking the bisacodyl tablet.
- Try to stay hydrated while using HalfLytely and Bisacodyl. Drink plenty of clear fluids before, during, and after using this medication.
- The mixed solution can be refrigerated before drinking. It may taste better if chilled.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.