As with any medication, it's probably possible to overdose on GoLYTELY (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution). No overdoses have been reported with this laxative, but based on what is known about the drug's effects, symptoms could include things like diarrhea, vomiting, and bloating. A recent overdose may call for the stomach to be "pumped" or for activated charcoal to be given.
GoLYTELY® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution) is a prescription laxative used to cleanse the bowels before a colonoscopy or a barium enema x-ray examination. As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much GoLYTELY. The specific effects of an overdose likely will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the GoLYTELY dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of an overdose with GoLYTELY, so it is unknown what to expect if too much is taken. Based on the known effects of GoLYTELY, the effects of an overdose with this medication may include the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) discomfort
- Bloating and feelings of fullness
- Possible dehydration due to diarrhea.
Treatment for a GoLYTELY overdose will likely vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for people who take too much GoLYTELY may include:
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of electrolytes (such as blood potassium and sodium levels).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.