GoLYTELY comes in the form of a powder that is dissolved in water. The standard dosing guidelines for GoLYTELY call for eight ounces of the solution to be drunk -- typically the afternoon or night before the procedure -- every 10 minutes until bowel movements are watery and clear. It's also a good idea to fast for three to four hours before taking it.
There is only one standard recommended dose for GoLYTELY® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended dose of GoLYTELY for cleansing the bowel prior to a colonoscopy or barium enema x-ray examination is eight ounces (240 mL) every 10 minutes until bowel movements are watery and clear, or until four liters are consumed. Usually, at least three liters are needed for watery and clear stool. Each eight-ounce portion should be drunk as quickly as possible, instead of slowly over the 10-minute period.
GoLYTELY is usually started the afternoon or evening before the scheduled procedure, although you should always follow your healthcare provider's specific instructions for your particular situation.
GoLYTELY can be given via nasogastric (NG) tube in people who are unwilling or unable to swallow the medication. The GoLYTELY dosage in this case is 20 to 30 mL per minute (1.2 to 1.8 liters per hour).
Some considerations to keep in mind when using GoLYTELY include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder, which should be dissolved in lukewarm water before using.
- You should drink each GoLYTELY eight-ounce portion as quickly as possible instead of drinking small amounts continuously.
- GoLYTELY is usually taken the night before certain gastrointestinal procedures. Your healthcare provider will tell you when to start taking the medication.
- GoLYTELY solution is prepared by filling the container it came in to the indicated line (the four-liter mark) with lukewarm water. Shake the container well to dissolve the powder. Also, shake the container before each dose.
- Chilling the mixed solution in the refrigerator may help it taste better. However, chilled GoLYTELY is not recommended for infants.
- Any unused portion should be thrown out 48 hours after mixing.
- You should not eat solid food for at least two hours before taking GoLYTELY. Ideally, you should fast for three to four hours before using it. Ask your healthcare provider how long to fast before and after using this medication, and what types of food or liquids you can consume.
- Do not add any flavoring, other liquids, or anything else to the GoLYTELY solution. You may, however, use the flavor packet that comes with the product. If you use the product's flavor packet, add it before the lukewarm water.
- It normally takes about one hour after you start taking GoLYTELY to have your first bowel movement. Loose bowel movements will continue for one to two hours after your last GoLYTELY dosage.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with GoLYTELY, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.