For those who are first beginning treatment for fluid retention with Dyrenium, dosing typically starts at 100 mg, taken twice a day after meals. If needed, your healthcare provider can increase your dose up to a maximum of 300 mg daily. To maintain an even level of medicine in your blood, make sure to take your Dyrenium dosage at the same time each day.
The dose of Dyrenium® (triamterene) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to Dyrenium.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose of Dyrenium when treating fluid retention is 100 mg, taken twice daily after meals. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose if necessary, up to a maximum of 300 mg per day. When Dyrenium is taken with another diuretic, the dose of both Dyrenium and the other diuretic should be reduced.
If you are switching to Dyrenium from another diuretic (or adding Dyrenium to a diuretic that you are currently taking), your healthcare provider should have you stop taking any potassium supplements.
Considerations for people taking Dyrenium include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day after meals.
- Dyrenium should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because Dyrenium increases urination, it is best to take your last dose before 6 p.m. (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night), unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Dyrenium will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Dyrenium or your Dyrenium dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.