Some of the possible effects of an overdose with colyte (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution) include diarrhea, bloating, and dehydration. However, the specific effects a person develops will vary, based on how much was taken and whether it was combined with other substances. Treatment would likely involve managing any symptoms that result from the overdose.
colyte® (polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution) is a prescription laxative licensed to cleanse the bowel before a colonoscopy or a barium enema x-ray examination. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much colyte.
The specific effects of a colyte overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the colyte dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of overdoses with colyte, so the effects are unknown. Based on the actions of colyte, using too much could be expected to include the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) discomfort and cramping
- Bloating and feelings of fullness
- Possible dehydration due to diarrhea.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose of colyte may include:
- Fluids, if necessary
- Close monitoring of renal function (kidney function)
- Close monitoring of body electrolytes (such as blood potassium and sodium levels).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on colyte.