General Information on Taking ColyteSome considerations to keep in mind when using colyte include the following:
- colyte comes as a powder, which is dissolved in lukewarm water and then swallowed in eight-ounce portions every 10 minutes. The medication is taken until the stool is watery and clear. It normally takes three to four liters to produce clear, watery stool.
- You should drink each eight-ounce portion of colyte as quickly as possible, instead of drinking small amounts continuously.
- colyte is usually taken the night before certain gastrointestinal procedures. At least one hour is needed between the appearance of the clear liquid stool and the bowel procedure.
- colyte solution is prepared by filling the container to the indicated line (four-liter mark) with lukewarm water. Shake the container well to completely dissolve the powder. Also, shake the container before each dose.
- Do not add any ingredients to colyte, including flavoring or other liquids. You may, however, use the flavor packet that came with it. If you use a flavor packet, add it before the lukewarm water.
- You may chill colyte before starting treatment. Chilling the mixed solution in the refrigerator may help it taste better.
- Any unused portion should be thrown out 48 hours after mixing.
- Do not eat solid food for at least two hours before starting colyte. Ideally, you should fast for three to four hours before using it. Ask your healthcare provider what types of food or liquids you can consume while you are using colyte and before your procedure.
- It normally takes about one hour after you start taking colyte to have your first bowel movement. Loose bowel movements will continue for one to two hours after your last dose of colyte.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.