When and How to Take BalsalazideSome general considerations to keep in mind when taking balsalazide include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth three times daily.
- You may take balsalazide with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For people with difficulty swallowing, the capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The entire spoonful should be swallowed immediately. Be aware that staining of teeth or the tongue may occur if balsalazide is taken in this way.
- The medication should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For balsalazide to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medicine will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of balsalazide your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Balsalazide Dosing for more information.)