In most cases, balsalazide dosing guidelines call for either one or three 750 mg capsules, taken three times a day. Among the factors that can affect the balsalazide dosage your healthcare provider recommends are your age, other medical conditions you may have, and other drugs you may be taking. In order to ensure an effective treatment process, it is important that you take balsalazide as prescribed.
An Introduction to Balsalazide DosingThe dose of balsalazide disodium (Colazal®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your balsalazide dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Balsalazide Dosing for AdultsThe recommended balsalazide dose for adults with ulcerative colitis is three balsalazide 750 mg capsules, taken three times daily for up to 8 to 12 weeks.
Balsalazide Dosing for Children and AdolescentsThe recommended balsalazide dose for children and adolescents ages 5 to 17 is either one or three balsalazide 750 mg capsules, taken three times daily for up to eight weeks. Both dosages (one capsule three times a day or three capsules three times a day) were shown to be safe and effective in clinical studies.
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth three times daily.
- You can take balsalazide with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For people with difficulty swallowing, the capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The entire spoonful should be swallowed immediately. Be aware that staining of teeth or the tongue may occur if balsalazide is taken in this way.
Balsalazide should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For balsalazide to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or balsalazide dosing in general, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.