Alosetron Side Effects
Common Side Effects
Alosetron has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received alosetron, while another group received a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of alosetron included:
- Constipation -- in up to 29 percent of people
- Abdominal (stomach) or intestinal discomfort or pain -- up to 7 percent
- Nausea -- up to 6 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3 percent
- Hemorrhoids -- up to 3 percent
- Anal bleeding due to hemorrhoids -- up to 3 percent
- Gas -- up to 3 percent
- Bloating or fullness in the stomach (distention) -- up to 2 percent
- Reflux or regurgitation (the movement of stomach contents back up through the esophagus) -- up to 2 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in at least 3 percent of people (the exact percentage of these side effects was not reported in the alosetron package information), included:
- Upper respiratory tract infection, such as the common cold
- The "stomach flu"
- Muscle spasms
- Urinary tract infection
You may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you experience any side effects while taking alosetron or if you develop something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.