When and How to Take This Medicine
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with alosetron include the following:
- Alosetron comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day, although some people may only need to take it once a day.
- You can take your dose with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Because of risks associated with its use, alosetron can only be prescribed by healthcare providers who enroll in a special program and understand the risks and benefits of prescribing alosetron.
- You will be given a medication guide that explains the important things you need to know about taking alosetron. Make sure you read the guide, and ask questions if you have them. You will be asked to sign a form indicating you read the guide and understand the risks and benefits of using alosetron before starting treatment.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing Information for Alosetron
The dose of alosetron your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on a few factors, including:
- How you respond to it
- If you develop side effects
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Alosetron Dosage for more information.)
Alosetron may react with a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Alosetron).
What If I Take an Overdose of Alosetron?
It is not entirely clear what to expect from an overdose with alosetron. An overdose could increase your risk for serious constipation and problems from constipation. Seek immediate medical attention if you happen to overdose on this medication.
(Click Lotronex Overdose for more information.)